On the basis of written documents dating from 1311 the contemporary building of the St. George Residence Hotel features a complete reconstruction of a baroque corner house built on medieval foundations. From 1784 to 1868 the building was used as an Inn by name of Fortuna, the Goddess of Fortune and since that time the street the Inn was located on bears the name of Fortuna. The former Inn consisted of 2 Floors with 8 suites on the 1st Floor & 4 suites on the Ground Floor, to the left from the entrance a restaurant while to the right from the entrance a cafe and a billiard room had been welcoming the guests. The stable could accommodate 50 horses (which is not an exaggeration considering that the distinguished guests arrived in a coach carried by 4 horses). At the end of the 18th century and beginning of the 19th century the Fortuna Inn had been recognized as of the highest quality, the most elegant one, an example for the other Inns.
The Inn hosted many famous travellers and dignitaries, representatives of cultural life. In 1835 the Turkish Ambassador and his escort of 32 persons, in 1837 Archduke Ferdinand and his escort had been the illustrious guests of the Inn. In 1848 a cannonball hit the Inn because it had given a shelter to General Hentzi. A cannonball can still be seen in one of the courtyard walls. It became an important intellectual center; the Inn was a meeting place for the Hungarian Jacobin movement. By the early 19th century the guests of the coffee house were mostly “high-ranking” merchants. After closure of the Inn the building was used for private dwellings where an art school and printing house were operating, from 1966 to 2004 the property was used by the Hungarian Museum of Trade and Tourism.
Following the reconstruction in 2006 the St. George Residence Hotel opened its doors and since that time has been offering 26 spacious suites, a restaurant & café, 2 baroque style banquet halls, one medieval wine cellar and a lovely courtyard.