The Labyrinth is situated in the complex of caves and cellars beneath Castle Hill. The underground labyrinth system served as a large shelter and hospital during World War II, but the Turks also used it back in the 16th century, mainly for military purposes. Remains dating back to the Turkish era confirm that part of the Labyrinth was also used as a harem. In the 15th century the Labyrinth gave home to a prison and it's most famous prisoner was Vlad Tepes, better known as Count Dracula, held in captivity by Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus. The underground labyrinth is about 6 miles long and the part, which can be visited, is one mile.
Royal Palace (Királyi palota) probably the most popular attraction on Castle Hill. It is unusual in that it has never actually been occupied by the Hungarian Royal family, and is more of a pseudo-historical mishmash, like the Mátyás-templom.
The first palace, in Gothic style, built and added onto over 300 years, was destroyed by the Christian army that liberated Buda from the Turkish occupation in 1686. In 1715 work started on a completely new, smaller Baroque palace, but over the years more and more space was added to the palace until it reached its current length (304 meters). The palace, in neo-Baroque style, had many added wings (which now house the National Gallery). Reconstruction after the various indignities suffered during rebellions of the nineteenth century finished in 1904. This reconstruction, by Miklós Ybl and Alajos Hauszmann, was undone by German troops holding out at the end of WWII. The roof fell in entirely and most of the furniture was destroyed. A Baroque façade which had never existed before and a real dome (there had previously been a faux dome with attic space beneath) were added to the building. Today the building houses three large museums) and the National Széchényi Library.
(within the Rpyal Palace)
The National Gallery (Nemzeti Galéria, in palace wings B, C and D) houses an astounding collection of paintings. For those interested in Hungarian artists, this is the museum to visit. The exhibition of nineteenth-century Hungarian paintings is most notable.
(within the Royal Palace)
Budapest History Museum (Budapesti Történeti Múzeum) is dedicated to the history of Budapest. Archaeological items uncovered in various local excavations in Pest, Buda and Óbuda - the three cities which make up Budapest - are on display. The oldest finds date back more than 40,000 years. Unfortunately not many artifacts survived from the once famous medieval palace, however lower levels of the museum feature some remains and a modest selection of restored rooms. Finds from new and ongoing excavations keep adding new items to the collections.
Offers great panoramic views and it's also a lot of fun. The Funicular (or Sikló, as it is called in Hungarian) first opened in 1870, and it was designed to provide a cheap commute for the clerks working in the Castle District. The Funicular has two stations, the lower station is at the Buda end of the Chain Bridge and the upper station is on Castle Hill, between Royal Palace and Sándor Palace.
SURVIVAL GUIDE (includes programme recommendations for kids)
We also prepared a Survival Guide in Budapest, which includes useful & important information as to the followings:
To download the document, please click here.